Your home or school
Any, IL 00000
Lisa LOVES blocks, likes to play with blocks, likes to reflect on the history of blocks, likes to observe block play and really likes talking about how block play connects with all four domains of developmentally appropriate practice (DAP) and can support the needs of all children, including embedding supports for students with IEPs. In this session, Lisa will share a summary of her Master’s Thesis research.
While she initially set out to investigate whether or not preschool teachers value block play, an extensive review of the literature did not reveal existing data that explored this question. However, it did suggest five consistent variables, which indicated value of block play: their attitude toward blocks, the amount of classroom time and space allotted for block play, the materials offered in the block area and teacher involvement with children in the block center. During this session Lisa will share an overview of her research, some of her findings and a brief history of block play. The various stages of block building and how teachers can adjust their support and instruction for children of varying abilities, and block play in general, connects to all four domains within DAP for all children in your classroom. Join us for this webinar to learn how to support ALL children in block play!
* This event is being presented in collaboration with STAR NET Region V *
Participants will have the opportunity:
- REFLECT on their current block area.
- RECOGNIZE the value of block play,
- DESCRIBE the stages of block play,
- IMPROVE their understanding of how block play links to all four domains of development.
- COMPARE the contributions of some of the early block play theorists and pioneers.